Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Glucose

Today I had another pregnancy adventure! The short glucose test to make sure I don't have gestational diabetes. Found out my aunt had it with her last pregnancy... but I guess it goes away after birth. I could handle that. I sort of thought it was a life time thing, and I thought, that would be such a bummer! I should probably eat more like a diabetic anyway... I don't want to think too much about that though.

So - the test! All I knew is I would have to take a glucose drink and then an hour they would draw my blood. I'm discovering that I must be somewhat paranoid, cause I thought that I was forgetting about all sorts of rules and what I couldn't eat and that this drink might be thick and nasty and, and, and.... I wasn't looking forward to it. All in all, it was relatively painless; the worst part was that I had to wait an hour in between, and while I meant to be studying, I just watched the food network that was playing in the little lobby, and the cute little kids that came in, too (poor things I think all had to get "poked"). The glucose drink was described to me as watered-down Sprite, but since I'm not exactly a Sprite connoisseur, I can't judge the truth of it. All I care about is that it wasn't even close to a gross medical brew. It was, well, very very sweet. Almost unpleasantly so, by the end. Fortunately it was only about the size of one of those mini water bottles, otherwise it would have been harder to drink. The taste was pleasant, and I would have enjoyed it all if it weren't so sweet. Haha. Go figure - a glucose drink is sweet...

Anyway, I'm going to find out the results of my lovely test on Friday when I go see the doctor. I could possibly find out sooner, but I don't feel like investigating. I'm just glad it all worked out... (I forgot my doctor appointment was this week, and they wanted me to do it "a few days before," and I lost the lab test order... fortunately they were able to fax it over).

Next test.... midterm. I can't just sit around for an hour and watch Food Network for that one, unfortunately, so I need to study. I think I can, I think I can....

No comments:

Post a Comment