Thursday, July 21, 2011

Back to the scholarly

Well, not having had class so far this week, I honestly have just been taking it easy. Probably both mentally and physically. I still went to work, I still went to the research lab (which is where I am now!), but prior to today I haven't looked at a scholarly article or textbook.

However, since I was supposed to be working on an assignment those days when I didn't have class, I decided it was high time to at least pick a topic and find some articles I could review, even if I wasn't immediately going to start writing. (Of course... I'm doing this in my research lab, where I'm technically supposed to be looking up journal articles on the infant still-face effect. We've been looking up those articles for at least six weeks now, though, so I don't really feel a specific obligation to do so every minute I'm here.)

So here comes the nerd in me: I found some journal articles that I'm genuinely excited to know the results in. Hello! Journal articles are real boring. Even the interesting topics seem to be stifled in journal lingo sometimes. But not always, and it's a trend that is diminishing. I'm probably going to read a few that aren't exactly on my topic just because I think they're interesting (emerging adulthood - or, really, extended young adulthood - is fascinating to me). Maybe I'll find I can do the reviews on them anyway, maybe I won't. I don't do a real thorough job at reading journal articles the first time, anyway, cause I want to find out the results and then how they figured it out, if I need to. Basically I read the very beginning and the end, sometimes the beginning/middle. (For those familiar with journal articles, I almost never read the results section. For those unfamiliar, the results section is pretty much all the statistical analyses, which I could probably understand, but it's much easier to skip to the 'discussion' section where they just say flat out what their statistics meant.)

Just thought I'd share my little moment of nerdom: I'm excited to read "Ready or not? Criteria for marriage readiness among emerging adutls" and "Nest-leaving patterns and the transition to marriage for young men and women." Just glad I picked the right major, I guess...

PS. I made a yeast-free, "no-rise sweet roll" (orange rolls!) recipe from Our Best Bites last night, and maybe it's because I've eaten them on a relatively empty stomach both times, but oh man. They are giving me some serious heartburn. I think I'm going to try and call my doctor office today to see if I can take some pill for heartburn, because I get a ton of heartburn and Tums doesn't seem to make it all go away. (Sorry if you really don't care about my heartburn. I'm sure you'll get over it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment