Sunday, June 19, 2011

Not what I used to be

Just a heads up: this might be a whiny sort of post. Because I'm tired and sometimes I whine when I'm tired.

I had work today, friends. I also had work yesterday, and then decided that evening would be a great time to organize a bunch of baby things I got back in Oregon. After, of course, having gone drum-accessory shopping with my husband.

So, if having slightly worn myself out the day before wasn't enough, my body (or baby?) decided it would be a great idea to wake up sometime before seven. I say sometime because I'm near-sighted and it was slightly dark because of the rain this morning. My brain kept telling me it was maybe 7:30, until I laid in bed for a while and finally looked at my phone/alarm clock to read the disturbing news: 7 AM. Sad day. I started work at 9:30 and took a short break a little after 10:15. From 10:30 on though I was standing and working pretty hard.

Now, this isn't the first time I've worked this shift. I've worked it almost once a month for all of 2011 so far... but admittedly I've also been pregnant most of 2011. However, I keep getting pregnant-er and realizing work isn't as simple as it used to be. At the end of the shift, one of the other workers not involved in ice cream volunteered to come help, and I was going to grab this big metal splash-guard for her... but I was so tired I had to show her where it was instead. It probably was within my "safe" weight limit but my body was refusing. Oh I was soooo tired. Made me realize how lucky I was when earlier this week my supervisor trained me to be a cashier.

Have I told you about my sympathetic supervisor? Apparently his wife worked at the MTC while pregnant, also, and she was always given hard jobs which made him mad. So he always tries to give me easy jobs. (Hence training me as a cashier.) He told me he would always put me on as a cashier if I were working during his shifts.... buuuut unfortunately I don't work the two days I know he does. We'll see what happens tomorrow. (Uuuuugh tomorrow.... death....)

Anyway. I often laugh and feel kind of bad, using pregnancy as an "excuse" for some of my behaviors... and then I attempt to do what I did a few months ago (while still pregnant!) and realize I just can't do everything I used to be able to do. Well, either that or I'm just getting lazier. See? I'm doing it again. I remember early in my pregnancy when I was talking with my grandma about being nauseas all the time, she said something interesting, to the effect of: that's how our body tells us to cool it so the baby can be protected. Pregnant women can do a lot of things non-pregnant women can... they just need to be more careful.

However, thinking about tomorrow kind of made my head hurt. And using the word nausea... not only is it a horrible feeling, but it is so difficult to spell! Seriously, whose idea was that?

No comments:

Post a Comment