Sunday, June 26, 2011

And now for something completely different

Today was not serious. At all. (Except maybe the part where we went to the temple, but I won't really talk about that.) We went and played kickball with a bunch of Gary's former mission buddies and their wives!

At first, it was going to be a water-style kickball with kiddie pools as the bases and a slip and slide to home. (Slip'n'slide means no pregnant woman!) However, it changed back to regular kickball, so I've sort of had a dilemma. I have a confession: I'm not the most active pregnant woman. Early in my pregnancy I just felt lousy all the time and now that I feel better, it's just a habit. And sometimes it starts to hurt a little when I walk too fast or stand too long... so I just don't do it if I can avoid it.

So what I do I do about playing kickball??

I thought casually that I just wouldn't play, that I'd instead be the keeper of our neighbor's little girl, but the problem with activities featuring only couples is that each couple is expected to contribute, or the teams are uneven. Playing sounded like fun, but I looked at the distance between the bases and just didn't like the idea of sprinting so far. So I was discussing my dilemma with one some of the girls and one suggested that I kick and someone else run for me. Brilliant! Seriously, I think she should have won a medal for that suggestion. And the funny part is I asked her if she really thought they would do that for me and she said, "Who would say no to a pregnant woman?" Haha! I know some great people. Unfortunately I tended to kick toward first so my runner would usually get out (or I would pop it too much so they caught it), but I did pitch okay and once even got someone out while hanging around second base. All in all it was fun.

Here's some complaining - everyone's got to do it once in a while, right? - we went to Cafe Rio afterward, and it was only my third time (probably because I managed to get a little stomach flu bug after the second time so I haven't really relished the idea of going back to a meal that I had tossed), but I noticed they had an "enchilada style" option for the burritos that was about a dollar extra. Well, interesting as it sounded, I just like burritos fine and I was thinking about Chipotle so after that initial glance I didn't think much of it. We ended up paying for our neighbors since they forgot wallets, and so I just paid without a thought, but looking back on the receipt, my burrito and the burrito my neighbor got were enchilada style. Did they ask me? Nooooo. I didn't know about Cafe Rio enough to ask for it not enchilada style, I didn't even think when they poured some sauce and cheese over it and ran it through... whatever it went through. I know it wasn't even a dollar, and that the restaurant was very busy, but I'm pretty upset. It's like those times when the server asks if you want something and I think, Oh they're offering so it must be complimentary, only to find out they charged you for it. I don't want to be the stickler who always asks "does it cost more for that," so I always appreciate it when I ask for a substitution or the server points out something will be extra. Regardless, this is completely different since without a second thought they just prepared it the way that cost extra.

Okay. Hopefully that was enough steam blown off.

Wow. Looking at the time, I actually can't believe I'm still awake. I called my Mom and we talked for a while, which is maybe why time got away from me. I wanted to put some rolls in the refrigerator to rise overnight, and I had a question about them (they were strangely sticky after kneading). Here's hoping they turn out; I've never made the recipe before. The last recipe I tried from good ol' Betty Crocker turned out quite nicely, though. I even tried half and half white and wheat flour this time, cause that's usually pretty successful.

Guess it's bedtime. And after the little kickball fiasco (even the little I did do tuckered me out!) combined with the sunlight/sunburn... I am worn out. Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment