Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I owe it to you

I feel this strange sense of obligation now to post. Now that I actually let someone know this blog existed. Let me tell you, the obscurity was oddly refreshing.

So, for the uninformed, I am a research assistant in an infant studies lab. This sounds way more awesome than it is, though when we actually have infants to study, it's pretty awesome. The trouble is that, for whatever reason, we don't have a lot coming in this term. (Last I heard the actual statistic was two. Two infants the entire summer term.) Yet, in order to receive credit, we have to be at the lab a certain number of hours. Last term we didn't have a lot of infants, either, and I wasn't taking classes so I sat around a lot. Eventually they found something for us to do, but it's kind of difficult to understand completely what they're asking, so it's like flailing around in the research world. Let me tell you, the research world is difficult enough when I more or less know what I'm looking for or hoping to find. Maybe it's good real-world experience, though, since most people I know can't read others' minds, yet almost everyone works for someone with a clear-cut idea that no one else is 100% informed of.

I think the point of all that was now that I have homework, sitting in the lab for three hours isn't so bad. I even did some research! Heh.

Oooh there was a pretty intense thunderstorm today. Or, at least, there was a thunderstorm. I was in class, overlooking a courtyard, so I didn't see much, but we definitely heard two very loud booms of lightning and were able to witness the torrential rain afterward. Fortunately it stopped by the time class was over, and only lightly sprinkled on me as I was walking home. What amazed me though is how dry the ground was after class. It would have been, at absolute most, an hour since that hard rainfall, yet when I went outside, the only sign of the rain was the occasional dark spot or small puddle on the sidewalk. Crazy, I tell you.

In other news, I have a to-do list that I am graciously not accomplishing. Now that I've eaten my delicious burritos, maybe I'll have some incentive. Or maybe I'll eat some of those tasty grapes first, and hope that gives me incentive.

No comments:

Post a Comment