Saturday, March 10, 2012

Doing alright

We had a little procedure done on Friday morning. After a somewhat trying week, Baby was surprisingly chipper that morning. Not so much that afternoon. But look! We had to put her in baby scrubs, which were pretty awesome.


Primary Children's is an excellent facility, by the way; I was quite impressed by the accommodations for waiting  families and how they handled everything. We got in quite early, and though we were told they'd try and keep her over night (when we first discussed the surgery back in January), the doctor decided to just watch her a few hours and send her home after she'd had some fluids. We were home that afternoon.

Poor baby... she was very lethargic and whenever we had to move her, she'd cry as if in pain. Fortunately, today has been much better, and she even began smiling this evening, more like her normal self. Unfortunately, she developed a fever so the doctor had to stick a catheter in her. :-( I can only imagine how not-good that felt after her surgery.

The other good news is that she had normal weight gain this week. I don't know how much fluid is left in her from the IV yesterday, but even before surgery, her weight gain was right on track. What a relief! Even if I do have to deal with the occasional bottle and the pumping. Maybe if she's doing real well at her 6 month checkup, I can drop the formula-enhanced bottles. At least I know she can kind of take a bottle. Much easier to leave her with a sitter this way.

You know what else has been good news in all this? I've learned that A) people are really nice and B) I have friends. Excellent friends. Maybe it sounds silly, but I wasn't sure I had anyone nearby that I felt I could just hang out with. Turns out I do! I am surrounded by excellent people.

1 comment:

  1. She looks so cute in her hospital gown, but in kind of a sad way. I'm sorry she had to have surgery, happy she's doing well, and happy you have friends.

    ReplyDelete