Sunday, January 1, 2012

I Believe in the Kitchen Table

So, possibly for the first time in our marriage, Gary and I sat down at a table and ate dinner together.

To somewhat justify the delay, we didn't have chairs for a long time. And even when we finally got them, they needed to be fixed and were pretty much unusable. Aaand then we has a baby.

Yesterday, my husband was amazing and cleaned the kitchen again. He did such a good job that I was inspired to set the table for dinner. He was just as excited as I was, which I wasn't sure he would be, what with the individual habits we've built up. It was amazing, though - I pulled out the canned fruit, so we had fruit on the side, we sat next to each other and talked (my husband likes to put on a tv show on Netflix, usually), and... it felt like a real dinner. Baby was even asleep for most of it, so we got to enjoy it together. The thought of having dinner at our table together actually makes me want to keep the kitchen clean. Not that I don't like it clean, I just need motivation to make it a priority. I can just picture us in there, just enough room for Baby's high chair on the side, all eating as a family. Even if we occasionally eat in silence or have melt-downs further on down the road, I can see why everyone says family meals are so important.

I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment