Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hungry baby

My little dear has seemed, to me, to want to eat solid food for a while. I read something a while back, though, that suggested that staying on breastmilk for the full six months might help with allergies or antibodies or something useful sounding, so I was determined to wait it out. Until she started grabbing at my food, staring longingly at our food, and not seeming satisfied after feedings yet not taking more milk (when I was pretty sure I still had some). The only reason I waited until today was because I had a doctor appointment, and I wanted to clear it with him, what with her surgery coming up pretty soon. He actually strongly agreed, hoping it would help her regain some of the weight she's lost in the past three weeks or so.

Well, I'd say it was a success! The very first spoonful she looked at me like she didn't really know what was going on, and then I thought maybe she was just playing with the spoon, but she wasn't spitting it out, and she seemed to like it. The first bit I mixed with quite a bit of milk so it would taste, umm, like what she used to eat, but lessened the amount a little in my next few batches. That's right. She kept eating. It took at least into the second tablespoon for her to finally tell me she was full. I could tell she was getting there because she wasn't as excited about eating near the end.

Here, pictures are the best anyway:


Food? I'm just going to eat my bib. Thanks.


What is this?


All finished! (With the first batch.)

I probably didn't mention that I nursed her a little bit before and after that first batch. Yeah. I always knew this kid was an eater. I just didn't realize how much she wanted to move on from eating just milk. I wish I'd gotten a picture of later feeding, because she took to grabbing the handle of the spoon and shoving it into her mouth (yes, I was holding it/guiding it too). SUPER cute. That's another reason I knew she was slowing down; she hesitated before grabbing the spoon.

Lesson learned: make more food from the get-go. Baby likes to eat. She was pretty happy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment